Secret Paragliding Site

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Secret Paragliding Site

Post by Tyler G »

Hello WCSC family,

After the Fly-In on Canada Day, Mt. Benedict is no longer a secret, but it's still a hidden gem. Even with overcast and a bit of mist in the morning, people were bagging XC and 1+ hour long flights. It was warm and the air was smooth. You can imagine what Benny can serve up on a good day. So if that doesn't prove the potential of this amazing site I am not sure what would. A big thank you to all those who helped make the Canada Day Fly-in a success!

A group of hard working WCSC members led by Al Thielman worked diligently on the development of this site and they finally had the opportunity to showcase that hard work this past Friday. Not only was there hundreds of hours of volunteer time, there was also hard cost out of their own pockets. These costs included, earth moving machines and other necessities to develop a safe launch and LZ for paragliders of all skill levels. WCSC and BCHPA has stepped up and covered the lion's share of the cost as our club supports members who take the initiative and leadership to open new sites and grow our club.

So here is where I pass around the hat and ask for your generous support. For the cost of a beer and a ride up the hill you could really make a difference in the future Benny, our beloved new site. Suggested donation is between $20-$40, but please don't be shy about a donation of any size. Every little bit counts and will be very much appreciated. Go on and get that warm fuzzy feeling, click the button.

Thank you for your support,

Get high or fly trying!
Sincerely your Events and Safety Director,
Tyler G.

GOAL: $946
CURRENT DONATION: $665
LEFT TO RAISE: $281

Thank you to our current Donors:

Ivan T.
Paul H.
Ali H.
Michael R.
Karin S.
J.P.
Igor T.
Terry B.
Richard S.
Anthony E.
Gary P.
Anonymous 1.
Cynthia P.
Scott F.
Al T.
John W.
Josh G.
Tyler G.
Kirstie S.
flyRobinfly
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Secret Paragliding Site

Post by flyRobinfly »

Hey Tyler - thanks so much to you and your team for making this event happen!

Is it possible to download a larger, hi-res version of the group photo somewhere?

Cheers,

Robin
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

If anyone wants photos please send me a DM or email with your email address and I will help you out
flyRobinfly wrote:Hey Tyler - thanks so much to you and your team for making this event happen!

Is it possible to download a larger, hi-res version of the group photo somewhere?

Cheers,

Robin
Amir

Post by Amir »

What's the status of this site?
Any of it crown land? Worth getting a tenure on?
When's the best time of year to fly it and in what sort of conditions?

Thanks
A
www.bluethermal.com
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. A pessimist fears that is true.
ALMANN
Former Director
Former Director

Post by ALMANN »

Hey Amir,

As to your site status question, currently WCSC holds only a road maintenance agreement under Section 57 with Ministry
of Forests and it's all crown land. This has proved to be worth much more than it's weight in gold as for the $10 bucks to register
and a bit of paperwork submitted 5 years ago we have had access and also government funds to pay for rebuilding a 3km section of 4x4 access road to the upper launch.

It also helps to keep us in the loop to any forestry works and considerable improvements made to the lower 4.5km section including all new bridges. As normally after logging operations the logging companies must deactivate or even put back to slope all roads.

I have been working with the Ministry of Natural Resources BC to keep them updated with our peak trail and launch improvements as well
as maintaining lock and key to the road. As a resident in touch with the local community they also favour us as keeping the shooters off the
road and spurs that are directly above their lands and houses.

I believe that this site being situated very close to the GVRD would be an asset to the WCSC as fully tenured upper and lower launches and hope to build a west facing lower launch with club help soon in the fall! The south facing launch is already completed and is good for Hang gliding and P3 and up paragliders.

The area is uniquely situated with excellent constant cross country conditions and good LZ's. Also just on the edge of huge back country potential if you go North as the airspace permits higher flights.

I know from years of flying with hundreds of flights that it is something special and well worth the time and effort! As many others are also
finding this out. Higher base, less wind and Miracle Valley that produces lift as well.

As far as flying season ~ the upper launch is near 1100 meters elevation so doesn't clear as soon as the lower launches South and West at
670 meters but we have flown upper all year with snowmobile and snowshoe trail access.

Thanks for the interest Amir, hope to see you out soon!

Al Thielmann
XC Paragliding BC
Amir

Post by Amir »

Hey Al

Cudos to you guys for developing this site and then exploring it.
We definitely need new sites in the Fraser valley with XC potential.
It's what, I believe, keeps people's interests up and the sport growing.

I would love to fly it when I have a bit more free time, but not likely until next year.

Big Cheers,
Amir
www.bluethermal.com
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. A pessimist fears that is true.
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

Thank you for your support

GOAL: $946
CURRENT DONATION: $665
LEFT TO RAISE: $281

Thank you to our current Donors:

Ivan T.
Paul H.