New WCSC Website (Sneak Peek)

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

New WCSC Website (Sneak Peek)

Post by Tyler G »

Front Page Option 1

Front Page Option 2

Example of Site Info Page (In this case Mount Woodside Site Info)
where to upload images

Other features and close ups
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Re: New WCSC Website (Sneak Peek)

Post by Tyler G »

Hello all,

I wanted to give everyone a sneak peek at mine and Pedro's pet project. We have been working hard architecting the brand refresh (the look and feel of our club) as we move into the future.

I will be connecting with many of the key influencers in our community to make sure we don't forget any valuable information as we continue down the path. Our goal is to provide information about our club and flying sites in a more meaningful and accessible way. The entire website is responsive (Mobile Friendly) and will utilise the power of automation.

I look forward to getting input and feedback. Hopefully, we can get a final result we can launch soon. Wouldn't it be sweet to beat HPAC to the gate ;)

All the best,
Tyler
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Well, as long as this new web page does not bog down my IBM 386xt and my Telus highspeed "dial-up" I guess its ok, BUT... it better not cost us $20,000 like the HPAC's boondoggle!

The sample page with that stupid dog has to go.... that cheesy stuff appeals to moronic part time pilot that have nothing to contribute to the sport other than selfies and twitter feeds and all that "like" crap. (my cat told me..... )

Seriously, looks "nice" but lets not forget the "down the road syndrome". If its going to need the ever loving daily tweaking of an some sort of unstable internet web geek and its not going to look after itself then we should think twice about any changes.... nothing good comes from change :wink:

Comrade Martin
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

Martin wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:53 am Well, as long as this new web page does not bog down my IBM 386xt and my Telus highspeed "dial-up" I guess its ok, BUT... it better not cost us $20,000 like the HPAC's boondoggle!

The sample page with that stupid dog has to go.... that cheesy stuff appeals to moronic part-time pilot that have nothing to contribute to the sport other than selfies and twitter feeds and all that "like" crap. (my cat told me..... )

Seriously, looks "nice" but lets not forget the "down the road syndrome". If its going to need the ever loving daily tweaking of an some sort of unstable internet web geek and its not going to look after itself then we should think twice about any changes.... nothing good comes from change :wink:

Comrade Martin
I am going to do my best here to avoid jargon as to not confuse you.

The cost to the club is nominal (under $100) the heavy lifting has been done by myself and Pedro. I won't comment on the series of shortsighted decisions that continue to come from the HPAC regime.

I like the "stupid dog," it appeals to me. It's hard not to look at that photo and smile. Although at your age, would it be safe to say you are out of touch with what appeals to the new demographic of pilots? Don't worry we won't be pushing you and your talking cat out on an iceberg just yet. ;)

One of the most important things for me as president is to ensure sustainability. The website is no different. I have decided to leverage WYSIWYG technology so that when I am no longer around, a "technologically mentally deficient old white guy" like yourself would be able to change and make updates without my same level of expertise. Here take a look at this quick video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 9XI0Lo-SWE)

All jabs aside it's always a pleasure to have your dramatic display of affection(aka your opinion).
You are one of the community influencers I would like to sit down with and go through the website to make sure we include all relevant information. I remember your talk on the history of Woodside and I thought that would be really important to find a place on the website.

One more thing to remember Martin. Progress is impossible without change.

All the best Comrad Martin, I hope to talk soon.

The young pilot that looks up to you,
Tyler

Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Claudia »

Looks great, thanks for the hard work, Tyler and Pedro!

Two comments to the front page options:
1) I would really like to see one of our WCSC sites on the front page (option 1 and 2 are Golden and the Interior, correct?).
2) The ‘book a tandem flight’ in the center of the front page v2 makes it look like a commercial operation … not really what our club of recreational/private pilots is about.
Neil
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Neil »

Thanks for taking this on!

My $0.02....

* Ensure that the old forum entries get carried across / reloaded - they represent significant local history that may be lost otherwise.

* And if there is any simple way to consolidate from social media as well would be fantastic - the site is starting to get pretty static as people move over to FB and other platforms.

Cheers, Neil
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

Claudia wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:57 pm Looks great, thanks for the hard work, Tyler and Pedro!

Two comments to the front page options:
1) I would really like to see one of our WCSC sites on the front page (option 1 and 2 are Golden and the Interior, correct?).
2) The ‘book a tandem flight’ in the center of the front page v2 makes it look like a commercial operation … not really what our club of recreational/private pilots is about.
Thanks Claudia,

The photos, for now, are just placeholders. We have some talented photographers in our membership. You would be the top of that list. Your photos are amazing. Hopefully, we will have members like yourself that would be willing to license the use of your photos for the website. I hope we can talk more about this soon

About the booking tandems. We are not a commercial operation that is correct. We are a club that takes an interest in the growth of our sport locally. If we do not grow, we die. Our club performs a very similar role to our sport as a Destination Marketing Organizations( i.e. Tourism Vancouver) does to a city. It is our job to inform the public about our sport and lead them in the direction of learning more. This includes connecting members of the public with paragliding educators (schools). We are not doing anything outside of the scope of our current website. Tandems become students and students become members.

Best,
Tyler
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

Neil wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:06 pm Thanks for taking this on!

My $0.02....

* Ensure that the old forum entries get carried across / reloaded - they represent significant local history that may be lost otherwise.

* And if there is any simple way to consolidate from social media as well would be fantastic - the site is starting to get pretty static as people move over to FB and other platforms.

Cheers, Neil
Hi Niel,

The forum has already recieved an update and is outiside of this project. Nothing for me to add there.

I am not sure I understand your input when you speak of consolidating social media. Feel free to send me a PM.
tnankie
Former Director
Former Director

Post by tnankie »

Tyler G wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 pm We are a club that takes an interest in the growth of our sport locally. If we do not grow, we die.
you do know that scientifically growth leads to death as local resources are depleted....just sayin' :)

Website looks good, the site section looks awesome and it is the sort of thing I look hard at when I go to a new area, but it's not of much value once you live in an area and have flown the sites. Unless......unless there was some kind of flight overlay a la skyways from xc planner/xcontest/leonardo.
Tom Dupree
:pg Advance Iota (Purple, white and lime green)

my user name @ gmail . com
GrumpySmurf

Post by GrumpySmurf »

I like it. Especially the site overviews.

That said ... in the interest of diversity, we should have cat pictures in addition to the dog one.
The FlyinOrange: Blog Videos Facebook Google+
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

tnankie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:03 am
Tyler G wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 pm We are a club that takes an interest in the growth of our sport locally. If we do not grow, we die.
you do know that scientifically growth leads to death as local resources are depleted....just sayin' :)

Website looks good, the site section looks awesome and it is the sort of thing I look hard at when I go to a new area, but it's not of much value once you live in an area and have flown the sites. Unless......unless there was some kind of flight overlay a la skyways from xc planner/xcontest/leonardo.
Hey Mate,

Club expense growth without membership revenue growth will lead to the death of our organization. If that is what you mean then you have used that quote in the correct context. So I encourage you to vote yes for raising membership dues ;)

Your ideas as far as xc planner are really cool and we were talking about having a similar idea as well. We were also tossing around the idea of creating downloadable GPS points to create competition style tasks for each site. (i.e. the bridal 10k, the bridal 25k, the bridal 50k etc etc.) Providing goals and direction for people after they complete their instruction.

Let me know if you would be willing to help me with this. I think Andrew would also be a good guy to help with creating a list of task goals for certain sites.

I would also like to see if we can embed the RASP on the weather page of each site.

Best,
Tyler
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

GrumpySmurf wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 am I like it. Especially the site overviews.

That said ... in the interest of diversity, we should have cat pictures in addition to the dog one.
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the feedback.

"I'll let you choose any colour you want, so long as it's black." - HF

Best,
Tyler
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martin »

Dogs are so stupid... they haven't got a clue what going on.... look at that mutt in the picture! (about the only thing going through that mutts head is "ooooh wind!..... when am I going to get to eat?... oh my I sure would like to take a crap"......)

Now a Cat on the other hand would be fully aware of the situation... God help the pilot... the reaction would be YouTube worthy.

As far as the sport needing promotion and pretending that progress is going to be the measure of success ? Hah!, Progress is nothing more than the politicians graphical representation of the destruction of the planet! The ultimate end of "Progress" is a scorched smoldering planet.

Hang Gliding is dead, Paragliding is dying, Speed wings are a passing fad... Strap on virtual google goggles, visit a spiffy web site and go flying with your dog (or Cat if you want to see a slasher horror flick ). Really, no reason to get out there and expose yourself to the risk and dangers of the outside world? Way easier to click through your experiences then it is to huck off a hill?

There are very few real pilots left... most of them are giving up, all they have left is to try and pay the bills well stuck in traffic on the way home to their over priced condo. Progress?.... yah... as Opus the penguin from Bloom County would say...... "Phhhhtttttt" :wink:

(I think I made a few of the old pilots in the "home" smile...... Bill the Cat for President....Gonzo journalism is alive, Hunter S Thompson is the king )

Comrade Martin

(I feel like I'm channeling my old buddy Fred.... we need more emoticons)
the other martin

Post by the other martin »

Lose the dog photo. Looks like Kelly Ripa doing a tandem with one of those 'sooner dogs'. Sooner piss on the floor than go outside.
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Tyler G »

Martin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:45 pm Dogs are so stupid... they haven't got a clue what going on.... look at that mutt in the picture! (about the only thing going through that mutts head is "ooooh wind!..... when am I going to get to eat?... oh my I sure would like to take a crap"......)

Now a Cat on the other hand would be fully aware of the situation... God help the pilot... the reaction would be YouTube worthy.

As far as the sport needing promotion and pretending that progress is going to be the measure of success ? Hah!, Progress is nothing more than the politicians graphical representation of the destruction of the planet! The ultimate end of "Progress" is a scorched smoldering planet.

Hang Gliding is dead, Paragliding is dying, Speed wings are a passing fad... Strap on virtual google goggles, visit a spiffy web site and go flying with your dog (or Cat if you want to see a slasher horror flick ). Really, no reason to get out there and expose yourself to the risk and dangers of the outside world? Way easier to click through your experiences then it is to huck off a hill?

There are very few real pilots left... most of them are giving up, all they have left is to try and pay the bills well stuck in traffic on the way home to their over priced condo. Progress?.... yah... as Opus the penguin from Bloom County would say...... "Phhhhtttttt" :wink:

(I think I made a few of the old pilots in the "home" smile...... Bill the Cat for President....Gonzo journalism is alive, Hunter S Thompson is the king )

Comrade Martin

(I feel like I'm channeling my old buddy Fred.... we need more emoticons)
The best way for us to deceive ourselves is to fail to believe in ourselves.
There are going to be good times ahead and it will be difficult to wait for somebody. Now, you're either on the bus or off the bus. If you're on the bus, and you get left behind, then you'll find it again. If you're off the bus in the first place — then it won't make a damn. ;)

Maybe you and your talking cat just need to get out and enjoy some sunshine.... or a hug.

Road tripping with my cat. Too bad mine doesn't talk.

Until next time Comrade Martin,

Tyler

p.s. you may enjoy this cat flying video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8mdH20qTQ