Advise Please

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
ChuckE

Advise Please

Post by ChuckE »

Hey All
I've just joined this site. I'll try to keep it short I want to learn to fly. I have watched a ton of youtube videos but never been up in a paraglider and am determined to do so. I am planning to take lessons. I want to get a head start on things and get the training manual. Does anyone know what training books to use and how/where I could get a copy now? Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks Chuck
Martin
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Advise Please

Post by Martin »

Chuckeeeeee..... slow down and take a deep breath :wink:

My first bit of advice is, appreciate the fact that the sport of paragliding is a commitment. If you want to get something out of the sport your talking about a change in life's priorities. Don't be in a rush and don't feel your in some sort of time defined final destination. IN FACT, you will never stop learning and you will never stop being at school. Nobody takes a 10 day course an becomes a pilot.

Since you mentioned FlyBC,, sounds like your going to learn in the lower mainland. The weather this time of year sucks so forget trying to learn now (or at least any flight time). On the other hand the internet is full of all sorts of training video's and teaching aids to help understand the basics. My caution with getting too far ahead of yourself with all this self help stuff is it can often hamper your early education with your instructor, you may begin your course with a bunch of preconceived ideas that could hamper your progress. Not saying you can't or shouldn't acquire some knowledge, just be prepared to commit to the structure and progress of a proper course.

Typically you can expect to sign up for a course in spring and realistically, by the end of summer will have acquired enough skills to have earned enough airtime to have a rating/certification to begin your flying carrier. Most instructors will teach you through to a level where you will be expected to purchase your package of gear but will provided all that you need for gear up until you are signed off. Buying gear is not cheap but by the time of your sign off you will have had enough community exposure you will be able to look to mentors in the sport to guide your purchases.

Truth is, your first package of equipment will take you well through the first few hundred hours of flight time (2-3 years) and may cost less than a few thousand dollars or as much as 6-7000$ for a brand new package. For sure, take advantage of your instructors program, he/she will provide everything you need and often MORE (Such as an old beat up wing that they will be more then happy to have you spend hours and hours thrashing around in a field learn the art of kiting... a process that seldom leads to any airtime but is the absolute foundation of being a good pilot) .

You should never rush to get your first kit, you should never rush to finish your courses.

Like I said, take a deep breath, wait for spring. Get out and visit your instructor, get your books, get your class time, take a tandem flight, hang out on the launch, watch and learn.

Good luck and welcome to the sport....

Comrade Martin...

(PS.... perhaps somebody will post some links to so good introduction videos.... )
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Advise Please

Post by Claudia »

Dennis Pagan, The Art of Paragliding, would be a good book to get started.
A few parts may be a bit outdated; its from 2001 and equipment has developed a lot in the last 17 years.
Still a great summary.

Looks like USHPA has it in their store or someone on the forum may have a copy to sell?

But I agree with Martin, it can be a problem when the theory gets too far ahead of practice.
A major part of learning to fly safely is lots of practice, most importantly ground-handling which helps learning to 'feel' your wing, active flying etc. Lots of videos about this too but the only way to get experience/muscle memory/quick and correct reactions is hands on practice.

Hope to see you on the hill in spring!