Proposed Mining Permit in Skagit Headwaters Near Hope BC

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
kand
Former Director
Former Director

Proposed Mining Permit in Skagit Headwaters Near Hope BC

Post by kand »

I got this email yesterday and signed their petition. Please consider joining us too:

"As you may have read recently in local news outlets including the Hope Standard (see below) there is a growing international coalition of more than 110 conservation recreation and wildlife groups as well as local elected officials, businesses and Tribes and First Nations from both British Columbia and Washington State who are opposing a mining permit in the Skagit Headwaters. The proposed mining comes on the heels of clear cutting in a “donut hole” between Manning and Skagit Provincial Parks
The company proposing to mine in an unprotected area of the Skagit Headwaters, Imperial Metals, was responsible for the infamous Mount Polley mine disaster of 2014, which spilled more than 2.6 billion gallons of toxic sludge into the Fraser River watershed, one of the biggest environmental disasters in Canadian history. The proposed mining activities including creating access roads, conducting surface exploration drilling with associated water supply and catchment sumps, and mechanical trenching over a five-year period of continued disturbance.
The BC government has concluded a formal public comment period but have indicated that additional comments will be considered before a final decision is made on the proposed mining permit in the coming weeks.
Please consider adding your organization’s name to this sign on letter calling on the BC Government to deny Imperial Metal’s mining permit in the Skagit watershed. We just need name, title and affiliation for the sign on (no actual signatures) and your organizational logo. Please let me know if you would like to add your name to this letter NO LATER THAN WED JULY 17,2019
I am coordinating the international coalition opposing this mining threat which includes entities from both British Columbia and Washington State.
The scenic community of Hope would be one of the most impacted if the permit was approved, especially local businesses that rely on customers attracted to the beauty and recreational opportunities in the Skagit Headwaters.
Sincerely,
Tom Uniack
Executive Director
Washington Wild
206-633-1992
www.wawild.org
Keeping Washington green since 1979"
Suntan

Re: Proposed Mining Permit in Skagit Headwaters Near Hope BC

Post by Suntan »

Is this Spam? Although I do agree with conservation it has no business on this Forum