Chilean Interlude

Share your flights with us! Post your story. Link to, or even upload a picture or two.
Ihor

Chilean Interlude

Post by Ihor »

flyRobinfly
Former Director
Former Director

Post by flyRobinfly »

Awesome! Looks like another place I'd love to visit and fly ...

That chase cam setup works really well! And the inscreen altitude/vario info is kinda cool. How does that work?

Happy New Year, Ihor!

Robin
Ihor

Post by Ihor »

Hi Robin. The chase cam is a design I've been working on over the last couple of years. It's evolved into a structure that can be broken down for travel. I have a few patches of velcro sewn onto my harness that holds the cam in place until I want to deploy it. Works well in a reverse launch too. I have just enough tether on it so it doesn't deform the trailing edge until I deploy it in calmer air.
The Dashware video overlay proves to be more of a pain than anything. My vario/gps (Competino+) stores a waypoint every 2 sec as the shortest interval, so all those analog beeps get all smoothed out in the digital record. I guess if you're in strong lift long enough it'll be fairly accurate, but all the peaks will get averaged out. Visually it might be more of a distraction than necessary. You can design your own gauges, and store a template for paragliding. The software company is offering no support right now (!) because they're dedicating all their resources to a new version which has no release date. The Dashware program doesn't read igc files so you need to use GPSBabel (or somesuch) to convert it into a gpx (or whatever) file. The process of syncing everything (video, audio, gps) consumes a little time.

It's been snowing heavily here in Vernon for almost 2 days straight. I've shoveled 5 feet of snow onto the sides of my driveway and sidewalks. I can't throw it any farther or higher. Everyone here says this is a freak event. Better be.
Attachments
IMG_20150105_205211737.jpg
(1015.63 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
095_1.jpg
095_1.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2995 times