Some Iceland Airtime

Share your flights with us! Post your story. Link to, or even upload a picture or two.
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Some Iceland Airtime

Post by Claudia »

This was primarily a sightseeing/photo trip but since Iceland Air allows 2 full-size pieces of luggage (yeah!) why not bring our wings?

Description of all the awesome landscapes, waterfalls, fjords, volcanoes, hot springs, puffins, guillemots, bird cliffs, lambs and horses will be in a different place; here just a short account of our flying activities.

First flying stop was Vik where we met up with Grampa Dave, a Pemby (or rather: international) pilot. He and his Vik pilot friends welcomed us warmly with a party until 2:30 AM – rather hard to know when to go to bed when it doesn’t get dark - and introduced us to one of their local flying sites, the cliffs above a group of sea stacks called Reynisdrangar. There we enjoyed a long ridge soaring session above countless nesting fulmar birds and similarly countless tourists.

Iceland’s landscape looks like a dreamland for paragliding but many of the great-looking hills and ridges line up the wrong direction and the wind is 90 degrees cross to the take-off. Not a big surprise considering how winds should behave in a fjord and most of Iceland’s coastline is made up of fjords. In addition winds were often much too strong and gusty for flying and changed in a hurry.

We had another sweet ridge soaring session in the desert/moonscape along the northern ring road between Egilsstadir and Lake Myvatn and also got the wings out for a short hike & sledride, a low dune soaring session and some kiting. So one could almost call it a flying trip!

While Iceland wouldn’t be first on my list for a paragliding holiday; getting in the air above some of the amazing sights was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. There is a cool app/online site for wind directions and flying sites (http://hopp.la/ice/) but beware, the wind speeds are in m/s. For km/h multiply by 3.6 .
East Fjords
East Fjords
IMG_3552-web.jpg (536.11 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Along the northern ring road
Along the northern ring road
DSC03397-web.jpg (483.14 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Over sea stacks and fulmars
Over sea stacks and fulmars
DSC03218-web.jpg (439.24 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Some Iceland Airtime

Post by Claudia »

Trailer of 'The Accord' a video on Iceland weather - actually about surfing - but also shows why flying conditions in Iceland are quite tricky. Watch out for the angry guy with the beard!

Won the Jury's award at the 20th Vancouver International Mountain Film Festival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cga-07MBp48
tnankie
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Some Iceland Airtime

Post by tnankie »

That looks fairly awesome. I wouldn't normally watch a surf film but I'm now looking for it online.
Tom Dupree
:pg Advance Iota (Purple, white and lime green)

my user name @ gmail . com