Raymont Challenge accomplished (and surpassed) May 17

Share your flights with us! Post your story. Link to, or even upload a picture or two.
Nicole
Former Director
Former Director

Raymont Challenge accomplished (and surpassed) May 17

Post by Nicole »

3 pilots did the Raymont Challenge today (Woodside-Bridal-Woodside), and not only were we able to glide back to Woodside, we climbed back out over launch and kept flying instead of landing in Riverside. Rob top-landed to retrieve the truck while Al and I flew west to get a few extra km's in.

Super-sweet day, for a day that started off really slow and we weren't sure it was gonna turn into anything special. You can see pics and tracklog at my blog, or go to Leonardo to see all the tracklogs.

I should mention that Matt J also made it from Bridal to Woodside (landing in Riverside); with a previous landing in Laidlaw and a relaunch from Bridal. So, a hemi-Raymont Challenge for him?

Nicole
flybc
Former Director
Former Director

U ROCK

Post by flybc »

Amazing the way the day progressed after the slow start, I got bored and top-landed when I saw the others sinking out near Agassiz.

You and Al worked hard at Green Hill to climb out, nice patience paid off.

Rob's low crossing to Ludwig sounds scary <300 meters??

JR
Rob Samplonius
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Rob Samplonius »

319 meters actually Jim, and it is only low if you believe it is... Plenty of pilots fly lower sites than 300 meters. The only scary part was the time I spent at Green Hill in the sink and wind.
Nicole
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Nicole »

Alex managed his namesake today (May 18 ), getting a climb at Little Mountain and arriving back at Woodside high enough to climb back out.

I sunk out at Seabird Island after not getting the climb I needed to get to Ludwig :(

Funnily enough, we both arrived back at the car at the same time...my hitchhike ride dropped me off just as Alex was landing. His way of returning was much more efficient than mine :)

Sounds like a great day at Bridal too...the first top-landings in the snow at upper Bridal? Any new snow-messages?

Nicole
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Claudia »

Could there be a correlation? :wink:
319 meters actually Jim, and it is only low if you believe it is...
and
…a lot of XC flights don't end on a manicured beach, but instead end in a small rocky clearing with a lot of trees around ...
Rob Samplonius
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Rob Samplonius »

Yes there is. The trick is finding out just how far you can push it and then take it back just one notch.

On the crossing I was fairly pessimistic so rather than aiming for a thermal trigger, I aimed for the only "reasonable" place that I knew I could land. Having a place to land immediately below takes a lot of the pressure off.

Now my definition of "reasonable" may not be to the same standards that everyone else has, as it was small and had a bunch of trees on the sides, but it was aligned into the wind, fairly high and dry (expect for the creek running beside it), and the trees aren't ridiculously tall.