best wind forecasting software - designed by local Phil Ibis

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
flybc
Former Director
Former Director

best wind forecasting software - designed by local Phil Ibis

Post by flybc »

http://ec2-184-73-83-135.compute-1.amaz ... gearth.htm

This code goes out to NOAA and collects the wind forecast data for 24 hours and presents it in a graphical format.

Direction, speed, lapse rate are all presented.

Works on iPhone, Androids too.

It was extremely accurate in Mexico for us this winter, saving us many long drives and ensuring good flights.

Thanks, Phil!
pecofly

Hmmmm??

Post by pecofly »

Hey does anyone have a quick explanation on how to read this?
PeteR
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Nice ......I know a bunch of hike & flyer's who would appreciate having Elk Mountain included in there.
philibis

Post by philibis »

Hey,

Thanks for the mention Jim!

Pete, This gives a little bit of information on whats going on: http://ec2-184-73-83-135.compute-1.amaz ... s/Halp.htm , if that's not enough, then fire away with any questions.

One thing to note is that the data comes from a 40km grid, so for the winds aloft, woodside and elk will be pretty similar. I'll add a link anyways, though.
pecofly

yep I I,m getn it

Post by pecofly »

So I,ve found that you can just scroll around the map anywhere like Penticton for example and zoom in on the name and presto!!
It all comes up
Ok now just to figure out what all them arrows mean Lol
pecofly

ok now I,m making more sense of it all

Post by pecofly »

This is pretty cool!!
It,s all a guess by golly anyways and local micro climates always prevail.
Like yesterday in Penticton at 4pm it was howling 45 km outta the south and 20km to the south we were enjoying soarable conditions from Otto,s Bump!!
PeteR
Attachments
otto,bump.png
otto,bump.png (358.15 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
wazungy

Post by wazungy »

Cool!

How do I install it on my computer?

Websites come and go.

Waz
flybc
Former Director
Former Director

this software uses Amazon's remote computing power

Post by flybc »

so you can't load it onto your computer.

You can always just go to NOAA nd do your own calculations manually to get this info.
philibis

Post by philibis »

yeah, no standalone app. Maybe next time the rainy season rolls around I'll have some spare time to make one :D

It's should be easy to host anywhere, it just needs some php to do the scraping, and the rest of the work is done in javascript on your browser.
pecofly

Cool!!

Post by pecofly »

I checked this out yesterday with our flying and it was pretty much right on for Willowbrook area near Penticton
PeteR
btw, I just took that url and copied to my desktop and works !!
Fred Wilson

Post by Fred Wilson »

Really, really cool USA only wind map. Found on the Oz Report today. Click to zoom in.

http://hint.fm/wind/
HangDiver wrote:Pretty slick isn't it? The NDFD is actually a mosaic of both model and hand created gridded forecasts from the nations 121 NWS Forecast Offices. A forecaster at each office analyzes sensible weather elements from model output for his/her forecast domain. Then, using an interactive application the forecaster alters the weather model output to better fit what they believe is happening in their area (a computer "first guess" combined with the knowledge of a meteorologist). Once the forecaster' drawing(s) are complete they send their gridded hand analyzed data off to be put into a national mosaic - a patchwork of analyses from 121 offices stitched together to form a national data set - wind in this case.
Credit Fernanda Viegas and Martin Wattenberg for taking the NDFD data set and creating the wind visualization shown above.
Rich J.
You IT whiz kids are just a treat to have in the sport.
Thank you one and all. Phil, Robin, Doug Nitchie and Noblet, Chianamanfu and T.J. plus anyone I may be missing.

Amazing stuff. So much fun.

When I was a kid, the weather report could only talk about yesterday. Publishing was done with carbon paper presses.
And people have the guff to complain about the quality of modern schooling.
What on earth are they on??? Nutso. Your brains, well, you must have been parented by aliens...
Just a different plane of existence than I am on! Nicely done!
parahiker

Post by parahiker »

Super work Phil,thanks! Doesn't work for me on Explorer only in Firefox.
Any suggestion please to make it work in both?
Carpe Diem! - Horace
Elk Mountain flight #552

Cheam #25
[/r]
and counting.
philibis

Post by philibis »

I just repaired it, sort of, for IE9. The google maps view shows up in a weird place, I'll sort that out. Unfortunately, lesser versions of IE won't work because they don't have support for html5 stuff.

The site is being a little flaky recently, with all the new load... :) That's because the site I pull the data from puts a cap on the number of requests I can make to it. So, being patient and hitting refresh enough times will get the windgram loaded.
Mountainkite

Post by Mountainkite »

Phil's server ip has changed. Ibis wx is now at:

http://www.ibis-stuff.ca/windgrams/gearth.htm