USHPA Bi-Annual Communication

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Tyler G
Former Director
Former Director

USHPA Bi-Annual Communication

Post by Tyler G »

Below is a communication from a USHPA regional director. I think it is fantastic that the regional directors keep their regions updated with all things discussed in critical meetings.
I attended the bi-annual meeting and wanted to share the top 5 points with everyone. As follows:
  • Overall status: Membership just under 9000 / 65% PG/SF. Speedflying is recognized as welcomed and growing area of the sport. Hang Gliding is on decline with an aging population demographic.

New USHPA Site is up & running with enhanced functionality and increased capacity to communicate to members. Check it out at https://www.ushpa.org. The USHPA magazine will also experience a revised format and it looks awesome!!

Changes to the instructor program and SOPs have yielded an enhanced safety record. In furtherance, P2 Requirement will raise to 35 minimum flights. A continued safety record will result in lowered insurance rates and of course, less injuries.

USHPA Board voted on a proposal from the strategic committee to reduce the board size from 26 to 7 people and remove regional representation. This motion was voted down although the vote was a tie. I voted against this motion citing a lack of regional and evolving sport (SpeedFlying) representation.
I have a much better answer for the question ‘Why should you join USHPA as a pilot?’
  • Your $150 annual dues provides you with $1M third party liability coverage when you fly. This means if hit something flying, the damage you cause is covered up to $1M.

Your rating provides you with the credentials necessary to fly at rated sites, street cred when out of the country and a method of recognizing competency in other pilots. Anyone who has flown in less organized countries has had this harrowing experience!

Your membership provides access to resources to help you progress as a pilot. This includes the latest safety updates, instructors, clinics and competitions.
Thanks to all of you and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. I am here to help!

Randall Shane, PhD