Visiting pilot looking to fly stawamus or woodside

Use this forum to post your short term flying destinations for upcoming days, or the weekend, to coordinate rides, meeting up, etc. Messages will be cleared after 2 weeks.
Charlie Barry

Visiting pilot looking to fly stawamus or woodside

Post by Charlie Barry »

Hello,

Visiting from california this coming weekend and am hoping to fly in the Vancouver area. Stawamus and woodside both look pretty cool. I'm a intermediate P3 level pilot in america. Would be looking to fly on either this friday 7/12 or monday 7/15. Can pitch in on gas/ rent a car, but hoping to get a site intro wherever I end up going. Look forward to meeting some cool people.
Martin Zak

Re: Visiting pilot looking to fly stawamus or woodside

Post by Martin Zak »

Hello Charlie,

Since you are coming from an area where COVID-19 is still quite active, perhaps please reconsider whether you'd like to hang out with other pilots. This is even more critical for an enclosed area like a car. I'd be very harmful to the local flying community if the virus started spreading. I am not implying that you have the virus but I hope that you understand that being cautious feels appropriate. There has been a period where we have been asked not to fly for nearly two months because of the pandemic.

I'd also mention the current guidelines for coming to Canada:
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... dvice.html
If you have recently returned to Canada and you have no symptoms, you must quarantine (self-isolate) for 14 days. This is mandatory. You are at risk of developing symptoms and infecting others.

This is just my opinion, maybe someone will disagree and I respect that.

Martin Zak
soaringman

Re: Visiting pilot looking to fly stawamus or woodside

Post by soaringman »

Show up at the bottom of the mountain on any flyable day and I'm sure you'll get a ride up and site briefing

https://www.westcoastsoaringclub.com/flying-sites/