Benny Rules

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
flybc
Former Director
Former Director

Benny Rules

Post by flybc »

Virtue LZ Rules (Benny). From WCSC newsletter July 1 2023

Virtue LZ (Benny) in Miracle Valley has seen a lot of traffic this season. There have also been an increased number of rule infringements that, unfortunately, worsen our relationship with the landowner Danny Virtue. Al(Hammer) Theilmann, who operates XC Paragliding school and manages the relationship with Danny, has negotiated the following rules.

The Virtue LZ can be used exclusively by XC Paragliding and pilots vetted by Al personally, regardless of previous permission. In other words, despite your previous experience, you must contact Al again and seek new permission to land there. Additionally, a P3 rating is required unless you've graduated from XCParagliding. Al’s phone number is 604-309-7780.

Not following the mentioned above will be considered trespassing and may further jeopardize our relationship with the landowner. Pilots looking to do an XC flight from Benny can consider to land elsewhere (for example, at the school LZ). The field serves a number of purposes (e.g. horse grazing, hay, filming), and the landowner seeks to limit conflict with the other uses. He is especially averse to rule violations like loitering and littering. Please, respect the landowner and their wishes. We hope you understand the sensitivity of this setup.

Lastly, understand that Virtue LZ is not an official WCSC landing zone (nor is the launch). The landowner won't negotiate with the club. There is not much we can do other than trust Al to manage the relationship of this sensitive place. We still welcome your comments and opinion but don't expect much.

Rules
Al has made the following summary of Virtue LZ and the rules you are expected to adhere to. Please read it and keep it in mind whenever you are visiting Miracle Valley.

Overview Overall
The Virtue Ranch LZ and surrounding lands owned by Danny Virtue are highly echo sensitive and pristine and used for a number off purposes including:
Equestrian Riding / High Value Horses Range / Long Horn Cattle / Nature, Bears and Cougars / Movie and Film use settings / Hay / Danny Virtue Foundation charities and events /Also all those houses owned by Danny surrounding both side of Cascade Creek /Annual retrenching of Cascade Creek with rock piles, creekside and trucks on the dyke.

This is an extremely high value location and the only viable LZ in the Miracle Valley and I am extremely protective and highly grateful to Danny Virtue for his extending to me and XCParagliding BC - Conditional use lease arrangement and manage all flying uses.

It doesn't take a whole lot of foresight to recognize that this sensitive LZ use could easily become out of control with individuals not understanding the parameters and cause the LZ to be closed to all. So I will be vigilant to keep the highest standard of care under my oversight of the LZ.

LZ Conditions
- Do your best to keep the Overall Vision as stated above this is a multi use LZ and you don't own it.

- This LZ is Exclusively for XCParagliding BC - students, Clients, or otherwise vetted and approved pilots only... No exceptions!

- No other Flight schools, Instructor training, Tandem Operators, unless under XC Paragliding BC direction as per individual case training purpose.

- All users must have HPAC fully paid membership and waiver signed up to date AND XC PARAGLIDING BC waiver signed.

- Always close the gates, and immediately clear off the field as soon as possible to minimize impact on the field.

- No smoking of any kind / No picnicking or drinking allowed / No trash at all - Including condom catheters, wrappers etc.

- No Loitering - Pack up and move out!

- As the field is being fertilized annually and used for haying the grass gets long - use a trail through the grass already there to minimize impact.

- Be aware of Danny's haying, crop management and film crews activities and stay off the LZ on those days and no flyovers while filming.

- No Hang Gliders allowed / NoParamotors allowed. Due to the Equestrian and Haying use management and Not part of XC Paragliding BC.

- Please notify me if you see others not following the conditions - Do not invite your other pilot friends without all respect to conditions.

I have moved out of the Fraser Valley but do occasionally train students at Woodside, and do encourage them to fly Benny as soon as they achieve their P-2 ratings and have good launch skills to launch from this Crown Land site.

There is no lease on Benny Launch so these rules can not be enforced. Al has no authority on this launch.

In fact I don’t think Ministry of Forests approved any work up there.

I even remember WCSC donating $2000 to the construction efforts on Lower Benny. BCHPA would not donate as it was an illegal site.

As for the relationship with Danny Virtue, a few years ago WCSC President James (X-Alps) Elliott talked to Danny and was told “everyone is welcome here, just don’t scare my horses”. Not sure what has changed there because most pilots launch and go XC. Maybe a few students have strayed too close to the horses.

This is a good way to create a rebellion.

The HGers have as much right as anyone to fly at Benny.

The history of flying Miracle Valley was started by Alex R and Nicole and all of us helped build Upper Benny and create a passable road, before it got deactivated forcing the building of Lower Benny. Al seems to forget how much work everyone put into the original site.

And now he wants to block pilots?

Unbelievable!

Jim
FlyBC
Jim Reich
Professional Paragliding Instructor

www.flybc.org
www.flybc.org/used.htm Demo Gear
www.flybc.org/training.htm Training Facilities
www.flybc.org/siteoftheday.htm Whazzup in the Valley
Nick Rolleman

Re: Benny Rules

Post by Nick Rolleman »

flybc wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:38 am
- No Hang Gliders allowed / NoParamotors allowed. Due to the Equestrian and Haying use management and Not part of XC Paragliding BC.
I think I understand the part about hang gliders not being part of XC Paragliding BC. They're not part of its business/profit.
Looking for understanding on the Equestrian and haying use management as the reason for no hg landings.

Thanks