Don't break airspace at WS

Wide open primary club forum. All users can read messages, but only registered forum users can post.
Suntan

Don't break airspace at WS

Post by Suntan »

I've been reminded of airspace above Woodside twice a day by a big Airbus pushing class E low over me. Also please be aware this was happening at Cooper's in Lumby as well. With the high cloudbases coming if you see some one high in airspace let them know. Cheers have fun and fly safe everyone!
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Re: Don't break airspace at WS

Post by Claudia »

Yes, important point!

Quick review:

Over Woodside all the way to Dewdney and Benny our CYA goes to 6000 ft (1828 m).
There is a layer class E above 6000 ft (1828 m) and below 6500 ft (1981 m). You need HAGAR to fly this.
Overlying class C starting at 6500 ft (1981 m) is completely off limits.

If you want to fly higher come over to the Bridal side. CYA there goes to 8000 ft (2438 m).

Over the Fraser Valley there is a wedge of class C starting at 5500 ft (1676 m). Pointy end of the wedge is east near the Agassiz bridge.

And don’t forget the Kent prison restricted airspace below 1100 ft (335 m).

Anybody who wants to fly cross country should know the airspace.

Check out the airspace viewer brought to you by Peter Spear: http://www3.telus.net/cschwab/viewer/ca ... space.html
GrumpySmurf

Post by GrumpySmurf »

"Over Woodside [...] Overlying class C starts at 6500 ft [...] - you need HAGAR to fly this "

If Class C (from Wikipedia for Canadian Airspace): "For entry into a Class C control zone, an aircraft needs a functional Mode C transponder and an ATC clearance."

Might involve a bit more than HAGAR. Can't say I'm too keen on playing chicken with and subsequently getting tail dragged by a WJ 737 to CYXX. :D
The FlyinOrange: Blog Videos Facebook Google+
Claudia
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Claudia »

Thanks... apparently didn't come across the way I meant to write it .... corrected above!

There is a layer class E above 6000 ft (1828 m) and below 6500 ft (1981 m). You need HAGAR to fly this.
Overlying class C starting at 6500 ft (1981 m) is completely off limits.
Martina
Former Director
Former Director

Post by Martina »

Thanks for the breakdown/cheat sheet for the Fraser Valley Claudia!

For those that use the Flyskyhy app on their iPhones, buy the airspace extension and then select Class C and select a border or "fill" colour...it shows that "triangle" between Bridal and Agassiz perfectly.